Homecoming 2015 was an exciting time on Waldorf’s campus! Find a recap of the events below.
- Waldorf College held their Homecoming 2015 festivities Friday, October 9 thru Sunday, October 11. The weekend kicked off Friday evening in the Salveson Ballroom with the Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Banquet. Bob Backlund ’70, Brian Grunzke ’77, Nicole Veldhouse Volk ’95 and Craig Volk ’95.
- Friday night at 9 p.m. was the coronation of the 2015 Homecoming King and Queen, Joshua Forrest and Abigail Buehler, followed by the Warrior Bonfire and Pep Fest in the south parking lot of the Fieldhouse.Homecoming Court candidates were Kristen Wilke, Haley Rubin, Carlee Von Holdt, Abigail Buehler, Shaye Sutherland, Dirk McOmber, Caleb Gilbertson, Joshua Forrest, Dylan Basil and Cody Clark.
- Saturday began with the Homecoming Parade at 10 a.m. led by Grand Marshalls Michael and Nancy Farndale, longtime Waldorf employees. Following the parade Reunion lunches were held in the Atrium and open to all alumni and their guests. The class of 1965, back for their 50th class reunion, had a special luncheon in the Salveson Ballroom.
- The Annual Homecoming Art & Craft Fair was held Saturday in the Salveson Lobby and an Alumni Choir Sing-a-long took place in the Recital Hall of the Music Building. Former directors and choir members were back for this honored Waldorf tradition.
- Saturday evening was the Taste of Waldorf Dinner in the Atrium. The college¹s highest honor for alumni, the C.S. Salveson Award for Distinguished Service, was awarded for only the third time in the school’s history. This year’s honorees were Gerald Boman 55 and Mary Jo Hanson Boman 57 of Forest City, IA, honored for their exceptional leadership and performance that has resulted in important and significant contributions to the mission of Waldorf College.
- Receiving the Alumni Distinguished Service Awards were: Marion Helland ’46 from Golden Valley, MN, for lifelong dedication to teaching and tirelessly serving as an advocate for human rights and Mike Stensland ’73, Iowa Falls, Iowa, for outstanding achievement in the financial profession and for dedicated service to church, community and Waldorf College.
- For the first time in school history the Waldorf Encouragement Award was presented to Owen Solomonson ’59 of Lake Mills, Iowa, for his faithful support of Waldorf College, continual encouragement of faculty and staff and presence at numerous Waldorf events.
- The weekend wrapped up with the choir and band performing at the Homecoming Music Concert held Saturday night in a packed Immanuel Lutheran Church followed the next day by Homecoming Worship, also at Immanuel.