We’ve all learned about the U.S. Constitution, everything from the Preamble to the Bill of Rights. But how well do you really know the Constitution? Test your skills by checking out these five fast facts from The National Constitution Center.
- Behind Closed Doors: The U.S. Constitution was prepared in secret, behind guarded and locked doors.
- Giving Thanks: Originally established by George Washington, the first national Thanksgiving Day was dedicated to giving thanks for the Constitution.
- Delegates Young and Old: Benjamin Franklin was 81 when he attended the Constitutional Convention. Jonathan Dayton of New Jersey was only 26.
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered: After the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, the Constitution was moved from the National Archives in Washington, D.C., to Fort Knox for safekeeping.
- Approval Rating: Although more than 11,000 amendments have been introduced in Congress, only 27 have received approval from states.
Source: The National Constitution Center